Thursday 7 October 2021

There might be chocolate

 I am still four years old, inside, 

Skipping round the corner in

My yellow Japanese dress, 

Made by my Mum. 

Going to market with my Dad. 

First day at Townsend,  lost, at seven, 

Having left my glasses at home. 

I am still the twelve- year- old,

Amazed in Bruges to get free chocolates 

For speaking French, regardless of mistakes. 

I am still that young engineer 

Ready to travel  the world,

To ride a motorbike, scuba dive and fly a plane. 

Whose train set was the Channel Tunnel. 

I am the woman who’s had the greatest good fortune

To fall for the kindest man in the world. 

A crazy cat woman who’ll have a go

At speaking a dozen languages, because

Always, somewhere, there might be chocolate.

LM Collis 7 Oct 2021 

No comments:

Post a Comment